Document Type : Original Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kermanshah Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
Department of Engineering, Ilam University, Ilam, Iran
In this study, Rotational Chemical Machining (RCM) as a novel machining process is introduced. The properties such as surface roughness and residual stress as well as fatigue strength of the RCM process are evaluated, discussed and compared to the conventional turning process. In this sense, Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) were utilized. The results show the superiority of the RCM method over the conventional method and eliminate limits of process such as low surface quality and improve fatigue strength. The Amplitude Distribution Curve has a balanced Gaussian shape in RCM indicating the balanced distribution of peaks and valleys on machined surface. Due to the absence of machining force in the RCM process, in comparison to the turning process, maximum residual stress is significantly decreased from 363Mpa to 71Mpa; surface roughness reduced from 3.1µm to 1.5 µm as well as the fatigue strength improved 20% approximately.
- Harris, W., Chemical Machining the Technology of Cutting Materials by Etching, Clarendon Press, Us, 1976.
- Sanz, M. C., Process of Chemically Milling Structural Shapes and Resultant Article, USA Patent, Publication of US2739047A, 1956.
- Dutta, S., Gupta, N., Yadav, I, Pal, R., and Jain, K. K., Fabrication of Comb Structure with Vertical Sidewalls in Si (110) Substrate by Wet Etching in Boiling KOH Solution, Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 25, No. 8, 2019, pp. 3091–3096. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-018-4195-5.
- Agrawal, D., Kamble, D., Optimization of Photochemical Machining Process Parameters for Manufacturing Microfluidic Channel, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 34, No. 1, 2019, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2018.1512115
- Bahrami, P., Azizi, A., Study on Wheel Life Parameters: Grinding Ratio and Wheel Loading in Grinding-Assisted Chemical Etching (GACE), Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2019, pp. 37-47.
- El-Hofy, H., Advanced Machining Processes: Nontraditional and Hybrid Machining Processes, McGraw Hill Professional, 2005.
- , O., Chemical Etching of Aluminium, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 119, No. 1, 2008, pp. 337–340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.08.012.
- Pandey, K., Pandey, P. M., Use of Chemical Oxidizers with Alumina Slurry in Double Disk Magnetic Abrasive Finishing for Improving Surface Finish of Si (100), Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 32, 2018, pp. 138-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.02.007.
- Mohammadian, N., Turenne, N., and Brailovski, V., Surface Finish Control of Additively-Manufactured Inconel 625 Components Using Combined Chemical-Abrasive Flow Polishing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 252, 2018, pp. 728-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.10.020.
- Krishnan, A., Fang, F., Review on Mechanism and Process of Surface Polishing Using Lasers, Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2019, pp. 299–319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11465-019-0535-0.
- Mehrafsun, S., Vollertsen, F., Disturbance of Material Removal in Laser-Chemical Machining by Emerging Gas, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 62, No. 1, 2013, pp. 195-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2013.03.030.
- Hof, L. A., Wüthrich, R., Industry 4.0 – Towards fabrication of Mass-Personalized Parts On Glass by Spark Assisted Chemical Engraving (SACE), Manufacturing Letters, Vol. 15, 2017, pp. 76-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mfglet.2017.12.003.
- Joyce, R., Panwar, D., Shakil, M., Varghese, S., and Akhtar, J., Single Layer Thin Photoresist Soft Etch Mask for MEMS Applications, Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 5, 2017, pp. 2277–2285. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-017-3609-0.
- He, Q., Jin, Z., Jiang, G., and Shi, Y., The Investigation On Electrochemical Denaturedlayer of 304 Stainless Steel, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 33, No. 15, 2018, pp. 1661-1666. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2018.1453152.
- Lee, Y., Pan, J., Hathaway, R., and Barkey, M., Fatigue Testing and Analysis, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2011, pp. 416.
- Wang, X., Huang, C., Zou, B., Liu, G., Zhu, H., and Wang, J., Experimental Study of Surface Integrity and Fatigue Life in The Face Milling of Inconel 718, Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2018, pp. 243–250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11465-018-0479-9.
- Novovic, D., Aspinwall, D. K., Dewes, R. C., Bowen, P., and Griffiths, B., The Effect of Surface and Subsurface Condition On the Fatigue Life of Ti–25V–15Cr–2Al–0.2C %wt Alloy, CIRP Annals, Vol. 65, No. 1, 2016, pp. 523-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2016.04.074.
- Sachin, B., Narendranath, S., and Chakradhar, D., Sustainable Diamond Burnishing of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel for Enhancedsurface Integrity and Product Performance by Using a Novel Modified Tool, Materials Research Express, Vol. 6, No. 046501, 2019. DOI: 10.1088/2053-1591/aaf900.