Document Type : Original Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Shahrekord University, Iran
The micro-scale equipment has many advantages, including high thermal performance, high surface-to-volume ratio in heat transfer, small size, low weight, low required fluid and high design flexibility. In this study, fluid flow inside a microchannel is modeled under the assumption of laminar, incompressible, and two-dimensional flow under symmetric boundary conditions. The slip boundary condition is applied to the walls and the flow in the channel output is assumed to be fully developed. The effect of sinusoidal wall with the domain of 0.1 on the hydrodynamic and thermal behavior of the fluid is investigated and the results are compared with the results of smooth wall. The results show that for a constant Reynolds number, the maximum velocity decreases in the microchannel center by increasing the slip coefficient. Also, the comparison between the results of the wavy-wall microchannel and the microchannel with a smooth wall indicates that the heat transfer in the smooth microchannel is less than that in wavy-wall one. Considering the boundary conditions, the thermal behavior of the fluid is approximately the same for two cases in which both walls are sinusoidal and the only upper wall is sinusoidal.
- Tuckerman, D. B., Pease, R. F. W., High-Performance Heat Sinking for VLSI. IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 2, 1981, pp. 126-129.
- Goldberg, N., Narrow Channel Forced Air Heat Sink, Ieee Transactions On Components, Hybrids, and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1984, pp. 154-159.
- Wu, P., Little, W. A., Measurement of the Heat Transfer Characteristics of Gas Flow in Fine Channel Heat Exchangers Used for Microminiature Refrigerators, Cryogenics, Vol. 24, No.8 1984, pp. 415-420.
- Mahalingam, M., Thermal Management in Semiconductor Device Packaging, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 73, No. 9, 1985, pp. 1396-1404.
- Aminossadati, S. M., Raisi, A., and Ghasemi, B., Effects of Magnetic Field On Nanofluid Forced Convection in A Partially Heated Microchannel, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, Vol. 46, No. 10, 2011, pp. 1373-1382.
- Van Rij, J., Ameel, T., and Harman, T., The Effect of Viscous Dissipation and Rarefaction On Rectangular Microchannel Convective Heat Transfer, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 48, No. 2, 2009, pp. 271–281.
- Karimipour, A., Taghipour, A., and Malvandi, A., Developing the Laminar MHD Forced Convection Flow of Water/FMWNT Carbon Nanotubes in A Microchannel Imposed the Uniform Heat Flux, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 419, 2016, pp. 420-428.
- Jung, J. Y., Kwak, H. Y., Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Microchannels with Rectangular Cross Section, Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 44, No. 9, 2008, pp. 1041-1049.
- Jalali, E., Karimipour, A., Simulation the Effects of Cross-Flow Injection On the Slip Velocity and Temperature Domain of a Nanofluid Flow Inside a Microchannel, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, 2019
- Mohebbi, R., Rashidi, M. M., Izadi, M., Sidik, N. A. C., and Xian, H. W., Forced Convection of Nanofluids in an Extended Surfaces Channel Using Lattice Boltzmann Method, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 117, 2018, pp. 1291-1303.
- Nikkhah, Z., Karimipour, A., Safaei, M. R., Forghani-Tehrani, P., Goodarzi, M., Dahari, M., and Wongwises, S., Forced Convective Heat Transfer of Water/Functionalized Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube Nanofluids in A Microchannel with Oscillating Heat Flux and Slip Boundary Condition, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 68, 2015, pp. 69-77.
- Kamali, R., Binesh, A. R., Numerical Investigation of Heat Transfer Enhancement Using Carbon Nanotube-Based Non-Newtonian Nanofluids, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 37, No. 8, 2010, pp. 1153-1157.
- Raisi, A., Ghasemi, B., and Aminossadati, S. M., A Numerical Study On the Forced Convection of Laminar Nanofluid in A Microchannel with Both Slip and No-Slip Conditions. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, Vol. 59, No. 2, 2011, pp. 114-129.
- Nazari, M., Ashouri, M., Experimental Investigation of Forced Convection of Nanofluids in A Horizontal Tube Filled with Porous Medium, Modares Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 9, 2014, pp. 109-116.
- Arabpour, A., Karimipour, A., and Toghraie, D., The Study of Heat Transfers and Laminar Flow of Kerosene/Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs) Nanofluid in The Microchannel Heat Sink with Slip Boundary Condition, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 131, No. 2, 2018, pp. 1553-1566.
- Kuddusi, L., Prediction of Temperature Distribution and Nusselt Number in Rectangular Microchannels at Wall Slip Condition for All Versions of Constant Wall Temperature, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 10, 2007, pp. 998-1010.
- Esmaeilnejad, A., Aminfar, H., and Neistanak, M. S., Numerical Investigation of Forced Convection Heat Transfer Through Microchannels with Non-Newtonian Nanofluids, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 75, 2014, pp. 76-86.
- Toghraie, D., Abdollah, M. M. D., Pourfattah, F., Akbari, O. A., and Ruhani, B., Numerical Investigation of Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics in Smooth, Sinusoidal and Zigzag-Shaped Microchannel with and Without Nanofluid, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 131, No. 2, 2018, pp. 1757-1766.
- Karimipour, A., Alipour, H., Akbari, O. A., Semiromi, D. T., and Esfe, M. H., Studying the Effect of Indentation On Flow Parameters and Slow Heat Transfer of Water-Silver Nano-Fluid with Varying Volume Fraction in A Rectangular Two-Dimensional Micro Channel, Indian J Sci Technol, Vol. 8, No. 15, 2015, pp. 51707.
- Bian, Y., Chen, L., Zhu, J., and Li, C., Effects of Dimensions On the Fluid Flow and Mass Transfer Characteristics in Wavy-Walled Tubes for Steady Flow. Heat and Mass Transfe, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2013, pp. 723-731.
- Heidary, H., Kermani, M. J., Effect of Nano-Particles On Forced Convection in Sinusoidal-Wall Channel, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 37, No. 10, 2010, pp. 520-1527.
- Solehati, N., Bae, J., and Sasmito, A. P., Numerical Investigation of Mixing Performance in Microchannel T-Junction with Wavy Structure, Computers & Fluids, Vol. 96, No. 1, 2014, pp. 10-19.
- Rostami, J., Abbassi, A., and Harting, J., Heat Transfer by Nanofluids in Wavy Microchannels, Advanced Powder Technology, Vol. 29, No. 4, 2018, pp. 925-933.
- Khadem, M. H., Shams, M., and Hossainpour, S., Numerical Simulation of Roughness Effects On Flow and Heat Transfer in Microchannels at Slip Flow Regime, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 36, No. 1, 2009, pp. 69-77.
- Yang, Y. T., Wang, Y. H., and Tseng, P. K., Numerical Optimization of Heat Transfer Enhancement in A Wavy Channel Using Nanofluids, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, 2014, pp. 9-17.
- Lee, P. S., Garimella, S. V., Thermally Developing Flow and Heat Transfer in Rectangular Microchannels of Different Aspect Ratios, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, No. 17-18, 2006, pp. 3060-3067.
- McHale, J. P., Garimella, S. V., Heat Transfer in Trapezoidal Microchannels of Various Aspect Ratios, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, No. 1-3, 2010, pp. 365-375.
- Ji, Y., Yuan, K., and Chung, J. N., Numerical Simulation of Wall Roughness On Gaseous Flow and Heat Transfer in A Microchannel, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, No. 7-8, 2006, pp. 1329-1339.
- Wang, C. Y., Brief Review of Exact Solutions for Slip-Flow in Ducts and Channels, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 134, No. 9, 2012.