Document Type : Original Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Modern Manufacturing Technologies Research Center (MMTRC), Najafabad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Najafabad, Iran
This paper presents a model to predict Material Removal Rate (MRR) in Micro Ultrasonic Machining (micro-USM). The proposed model is developed based on the ductile-mode of material removal in micro-USM process. The correlation between ductile material removal rate and process parameters including frequency and amplitude of the ultrasonic vibration, particle size, and slurry concentration is presented. The proposed predictive model is verified by performing micromachining experiments using two types of workpiece materials including silicon and quartz at various process parameters levels. The results show that the MRR increases with a rise in vibration amplitude for both silicon and quartz materials. The experimental MRR values follow a trend similar to that of predicted MRR values. However, the predicted MRR values are higher than the measured MRR values for both silicon and quartz materials. The measured MRR values for ductile removal mode were found to have a considerable increase at vibration amplitudes of 2 mm and 2.4 mm for silicon and quartz, respectively, which is in favour of increasing the accuracy of the model prediction.
- Egashira, K., Taniguchi, T., Tsuchiya, H., and Miyazaki, M., Microultrasonic Machining Using Multitools, in Progress of Machining Technology- Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Progress Machining Technology, 2004, pp. 297-301.
- Zhang, C., Rentsch, R., and Brinksmeier, E., Advances in Micro Ultrasonic Assisted Lapping of Microstructures in Hard–brittle Materials: a Brief Review and Outlook, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 45, 2005, pp. 881-890.
- Al-okaily, A., Sundaram, M. M., and Rajurkar, K. P., Adaptive Control and Process Stability of Micro Ultrasonic Machining, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on MicroManufacturing (ICOMM/4M), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2010, pp. 209-215.
- Zarepour, H., Precision Force Measurement and Control in Micro Ultrasonic Machining, International Journal of Advanced Design and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2017, pp. 11-17.
- Jain, A. K., Pandey, P. M., Narasaiah, K., Gopinath, S., and Venkitakrishnan, P. V., Effect of Tool Design Parameters Study in Micro Rotary Ultrasonic Machining Process, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 98, 2018, pp. 1267-1285.
- Yu, Z., Hu, X., and Rajurkar, K. P., Study of Micro Ultrasonic Machining of Silicon, Proceedings of 2005 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2005, pp. 1063-1070.
- Brinksmeier, E., Preuss, W., and Schmutz, J., Manufacture of Microstructures by Ultrasonic Lapping, Proceedings of the 13th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Precision Engineering, 1998, pp. 169-172.
- Kuriyagawa, T., Shirosawa, T., Saito, O., and Syoji, K., Micro Ultrasonic Abrasive Machining for Three-Dimensional Milli-Structures of Hard–brittle Materials, Proceedings of the 16th Annual Meeting of the ASPE, Crystal City, Virginia, USA, 2001, pp. 593-600.
- Hu, X., Yu, Z., and Rajurkar, K. P., Experimental Study of Micro Ultrasonic Vibration Machining, Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials XIV with Frontiers in Materials Science 2005: Innovative Materials and Manufacturing Techniques, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 2005, pp. 197-210.
- Hu, X., Yu, Z., and Rajurkar, K. P., State-of-the-art Review of Micro Ultrasonic Machining, Proceedings of the International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 2006, pp. 1017-1024.
- Hu, X., Mechanism, Characteristics and Modeling of Micro Ultrasonic Machining, Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Nebraska, United States, 2007.
- Agarwal, S., On the Mechanism and Mechanics of Material Removal in Ultrasonic Machining, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 96, 2015, pp. 1-14.
- Li, G., Yu, Z., Song, J., Li, C., Li, J., and Natsu, W., Material Removal Modes of Quartz Crystals by Micro USM, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 42, 2016, pp. 842-846.
- Zarepour, H., Yeo, S. H., Predictive Modeling of Material Removal Modes in Micro Ultrasonic Machining, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 62, 2012, pp. 13-23.