Document Type : Original Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Malek Ashtar University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Faculty of Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Malek Ashtar University of Technology, Iran
Composite Research Centre, Malek Ashtar University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Nowadays grid structures are considered as one of the most useful composites because of their various applications. Since grid structures are vulnerable to impact loads, they should be investigated under such loadings. The present paper studies the low-velocity impact loading of sandwich panels with grid-stiffened cores using both experimental and numerical simulations. In addition to the impact behaviour and the resultant damage of the sandwich panels, the behaviour of these structures under three-point bending was studied before and after the impact loading. The results were provided for impact and bending loadings separately. Then the effect of impact loadings on bending strength was investigated and it was found that the impact loading decreases the bending strength. A consistency between numerical and experimental results was also observed, which confirms the applicability of the Finite Element Method (FEM) in simulating the behaviour of such structures under impact and bending loads, while saving lots of time, efforts and costs.
- Winson, J. R., Mechanics of Composites, Publications of Amirkabir University of Technology, 2003.
- Kidane, S., Buckling Analysis of Grid Stiffened Composite Structures, Faculty of the Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for The Degree of Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering in The Department of Mechanical Engineering by Samuel Kidane B. Sc., Addis Ababa University, 2002.
- Kidane, S., Li, G., Helms, J., Pang, S. S., and Woldesenbet, E., Buckling Load Analysis of Grid Stiffened Composite Cylinders, Composites Part B: Engineering, Vol. 34, 2003, pp. 1-9.
- Gan, C., Gibson, R. F., and Newaz, G. M., Analytical/Experimental Investigation of Energy Absorption in Grid-Stiffened Composite Structures Under Transverse Loading, Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 44, 2004, pp. 185-194.
- Fan, H., Meng, F., and Yang, W., Sandwich Panels with Kagome Lattice Cores Reinforced by Carbon Fibers, Composite structures, Vol. 81, 2007, pp. 533-539.
- Zhang, Z., Chen, H., and Ye, L., Progressive Failure Analysis for Advanced Grid Stiffened Composite Plates/Shells, Composite Structures, Vol. 86, 2008, pp. 45-54.
- Arashmehr, J., Rahimi, G. H., and Rasouli, S. F., An Experimental and Numerical Investigation of a Grid Composite Cylindrical Shell Subjected to Transverse Loading, Strojniški Vestnik-Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 59, 2013, pp. 755-762.
- Petras, A., Sutcliffe, M., Failure Mode Maps for Honeycomb Sandwich Panels, Composite Structures, Vol. 44, 1999, pp. 237-52.
- Triantafillou, T. C., Gibson, L. J., Failure Mode Maps for Foam Core Sandwich Beams, Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 95, 1987, pp. 37-53.
- McCormack, T., Miller, R., Kesler, O., and Gibson, L., Failure of Sandwich Beams with Metallic Foam Cores, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 38, 2001, pp. 4901-20.
- Banghai, J., Zhibin, L., and Fangyun, L., Failure Mechanism of Sandwich Beams Subjected to Three-Point Bending, Composite Structures, Vol. 133, 2015, pp. 739-45.
- Mozafari, H., Molatefi, H., Crupi, V., Epasto, G., and Guglielmino, E., In Plane Compressive Response and Crushing of Foam Filled Aluminum Honeycombs, Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 49, 2015, pp. 3215-28.
- Mozafari, H., Khatami, S., Molatefi, H., Crupi, V., Epasto, G., and Guglielmino, E., Finite Element Analysis of Foam-Filled Honeycomb Structures Under Impact Loading and Crashworthiness Design, International Journal of Crashworthiness, Vol. 21, 2016, pp. 148-60.
- Lacy, T. E., Hwang, Y., Numerical Modeling of Impact-Damaged Sandwich Composites Subjected to Compression-After-Impact Loading. Composite Structures, Vol. 61, 2003, pp. 115.
- Mamalis, A., Manolakos, D., Ioannidis, M., and Papapostolou, D., On the Experimental Investigation of Crash Energy Absorption in Laminate Splaying Collapse Mode of FRP Tubular Components. Composite Structures, Vol. 70, 2005, pp. 413-29.