Document Type : Original Article
Department of Mechanical Engineering, West Tehran branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran Department of Mechanical Engineering, Roudehen branch, Islamic Azad University, Roudehen, Iran
Department of Mechanical Engineering, West Tehran branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran E-mail: email@example.com
In this work, Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) thin films were deposited on aluminum alloy 6061 by Plasma-Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition (PACVD). Nitiding prior to coated leads to appropriate hardness gradient and it can greatly improve the mechanical properties of the coatings. The composition, crystalline structure and phase of the films were investigated by Grazing Incidence X-ray Diffraction (GIXRD). Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) were employed to observe the morphology and structure of the film. The DLC layer exhibited a columnar structure. The adhesion force between the film and the aluminum alloy 6061 was 30.8 Mpa. The DLC film was determined by the pull of test. The hardness of the DLC film was 12.75 Gpa. The improvement of the adhesion DLC was attributed to a less gradient hardness configuration. In addition, the mean friction coefficient of the films was about 0.2 determined by nanoindentation test. According to the results, the high and unique hardness of this coating leads to increase of the wear resistance and thus the useful life of parts.
- Chintaiah, N., Ravi kumar, S. T., International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology Research (IJSETR), Vol. 7, 2018, pp. 2278 -7798.
- Casati, R., Vedani, M., A Review, Vol. 1, 2014, pp. 65-83.
- Rie, K. T., Gebauer, A., Woehle, J., Tonshoff, H. K., and Blawit, C., Surf. Coat. Technol., Vol.74-75, 1995, pp. 375–381.
- Hedenqvist, P., Olsson, M., Wallen, P., Kassman, A., Hogmark, S., and Jacobson, S., Surf. Coat. Technol. Vol. 41, 1990, pp. 243–256.
- Sundgren, J. E., Thin Solid Films.Vol. 128, 1985, pp. 21–44.
- Rie, K. T., Gebauer, A., and Woehle, J., Surf. Coat. Technol., Vol. 60, 1993, pp. 385–388.
- Ishii, Y., Ohtsu, H., Adachi, T., Ichimura, H., and Kobayashi, K., Surf. Coat. Technol., Vol. 4, 1991, pp. 279–283.
- Cullity, B. D., Elements of X-Ray Diffraction, 2nd ed, Addison Wesley., 1978, pp. 154-196.
- Niederhofer, A., Bolom, T., Nesladek, P., Moto, K., Eggs, Ch., Patil, D. S., and Veprek, S., J. Surf. Coat. Technol., Vol. 183, 2001, pp. 146–147.
- Tadahiro, W., Materials Science Forum, Vol. 638-642, 2010, pp. 368-373.
- William, D., Melo, S., José Rubens, G. C., and Vladimir, T. A., J. Materials Research. Vol. 16, No. 3, 2013, pp. 603-608.
- Yuanbing, L., Nan, L., Guozhi, R., Jianwei, L., and Xiaohui, L., Materials and Design., Vol. 28, 2007, pp. 969–972.
- Jones, B. J., Mahendran, A., Anson, A. W., Reynold, A. J., and Bulpett, R., J. Frank. Diamond and Related Materials, Vol. 19, 2010, pp. 685.
- Vinod Babu, C., Yaradi, M., and Teja Thammineni, D., Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 390, 2018, pp. 012079.
- Zangh, H., Yan Tang, S., Raremetals., Vol. 29, 2010, pp. 528.
- Kenneth, H., Helena, R., Anssi, L., Kim, W., Sture, H., Staffan, J., Urban, W., Souza, M., and Per, S., Wear, Vol. 267, 2009, pp. 2142–2156.