Document Type : Original Article
Faculty of Mechanics, Malek Ashtar University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran
Welding is known as one of the most popular attaching methods for different hollow section components. However, local concentrated heating, distortion, and residual stresses at welded joints are unavoidable. In this article, the welding simulation for rectangular hollow (RHS) sections for the front axle carrier of the new BMW series-7 is discussed and weld distortion and residual stresses in its aluminum T-joint for one proposed sequence are investigated. Comparisons of the results of this paper for this recommended sequence with experimental results in some references show good agreement and indicate that characteristics of the welding distortions are fully forecasted. In the following of this paper, the Finite Element Method (FEM) is used to offer a better sequence with smaller weld distortion and residual stresses. Weld distortion and residual stresses are highly influenced by welding strategy. In the proposed strategy, the needed time to perform the welding process decreased, and the total weld distortion and residual stresses decreased by 24% and 4%, respectively.
- Murakawa, H., Deng, D., Rashe, S., and Sato, S., Prediction of Distortion Produced On Welded Structures During Assembly Using Inherent Deformation and Interface Element, Transactions of JWRI, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2009, pp. 63-69.
- Tsai, C. L., Cheng, W. T., and Lee, T., Modelling Strategy for Control of Welding-Induced Distortion. Modelling of Casting, Welding and Advanced Solidification Processes VII, the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, 1995, pp. 335-345.
- Bachorski, A., Painter, M. J., Smailes, A. J., and Wahab, M. A., Finite-Element Prediction of Distortion During Gas Metal Arc Welding Using the Shrinkage Volume Approach, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 92, 1999, pp. 405-409.
- Hackmair, C., Werner, E., and Pönisch, M., Application of Welding Simulation for Chassis Components Within the Development of Manufacturing Methods, Computational Materials Science, Vol. 28, No. 3, 2003, pp. 540-547.
- Vural, M., Muzafferoglu, H., and Tapici, U., The Effect of Welding Fixtures On Welding Distortions, J Achiev Mater Manuf Eng, 2007, pp. 511-514.
- Guangming, F., Marcelo, I., Menglan, D., Segen, F., Influence of the Welding Sequence On Residual Stress and Distortion of Fillet Welded Structures, Marine Structures, Vol. 46, 2016, pp. 30-55.
- Summers, P., Chen, Y., Rippe, Ch., Allen, B., Mouritz, A., Case, S., and Lattimer, B., Overview of Aluminum Alloy Mechanical Properties During and After Fires, in Fire Science Reviews, Vol. 4, 2015.
- Incropera F., Dewitt D., Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, Wiley, New York, 1996.